Carrot cookies?! Just seeing those two words side-by-side probably seems like a huge conflict of interest, right? Wrong, friends! If you’ve tried the Chipper Chipmunk’s Sweet Potato Brownies, you’re well aware that vegetables and desserts can make quite the power couple! Move over Brady-Bundch, cuz’ carrots & cookies are about to make their red carpet debut!Here’s just a few reasons why the humble carrot is sure to WORK IT and OWN IT in this tasty cookie recipe:
- Carrots are naturally sweet, so you don’t need to add any sugar to this cookie recipe.
- They’re high in antioxidant, beta carotene, for healthy eyes and skin.
- They’re rich in alkaline elements to purify blood and balance your body’s PH.
- The carotenoids in carrots help to regulate blood sugar.
- Carrots are packed with vitamins A, K, folate, & B6!
- They’re loaded with minerals manganese, potassium, copper, & iron.
- Carrots help boost the immune system.
- The phytonutrient, falcarinol, found in carrots, promotes a healthy colon.
- The soluble fiber in carrots helps to reduce LDL cholesterol.
- Carrots are known to reduce the rick of cancer, stroke, & heart disease.
AND NOW, MAKING THEIR RED CARPET DEBUT….
The Ingredients of The Chipper Chipmunk’s Carrot-Almond-Cacao Protein Cookie: (Makes about 15-16 large cookies)
- 2 & 1/2 cups of shredded organic carrots
- 2 cups of whole raw organic almonds
- 1 egg PLUS 4 egg whites
- 1 tbsp organic coconut flour (I love Nutiva’s Organic Coconut Flour.)
- 1 scoop of organic vanilla protein powder (I love Purely Inspired’s French Vanilla Organic Protein.)
- 1/4 cup of cacao powder (I love Navitas Cacao Powder.)
- 2 tsps of melted organic coconut oil
- 1 tsp saigon cinnamon
- 1/8 tsp nutmeg
- 1 tsp vanilla
Note– If you’re not in the mood for chocolate (gasp!), you can omit the cacao all together, and the cookie will still taste delicious! I’ll show you the finished product of both versions of the cookie– with and without the cacao– below.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit
- In a food processor, add the 2 & 1/2 cups of (already shredded) carrots, 2 cups of raw almonds, and pulse until the almonds are chopped into tiny chunks. (This gives the cookie some added texture and crunch!)
- Next add in all of the other ingredients EXCEPT for the protein powder, and pulse until well mixed.
- Note- If you’re not in the mood for chocolate, don’t add any cacao. It will look like the picture below.
- Add the scoop of protein powder last and pulse again until well blended.
- Next, take a spoon and scoop a large dollop of the dough into your hand
- Roll the dough into a large ball and place it onto a cookie sheet covered in wax paper. (The dough will be slightly damp, but still manageable. You can put it in the freezer for 10 minutes before rolling into balls, if you prefer.)
- Finally, take a fork and create hash marks across the surface of each cookie.
- Pop into the oven and bake for 8-12 minutes at 350 degrees Fahrenheit until the cookie has darkened and slightly hardened.
- Take the cookies out of the oven and let them sit for 20 minutes. (They will still be a bit soft, so you’ll want them to cool and stiffen up a bit before moving them with a spatula to a plate or cooling tray.)
Here is a picture of the carrot cookies without cacao:
Here is a picture of the carrot cookies WITH Cacao:
I hope you love this tasty “Carkie” (carrot-cookie combo) as much as I do! When you’re eating nutrient-dense whole foods that taste delicious, a healthy lifestyle change is not only doable, it’s ENJOYABLE! Try this recipe today, and as always, I’d love to hear from you in the comments below, or on my Twitter, Facebook, and Instagram pages. See ya at the next red carpet! 😉 ~The Chipper Chipmunk~